• March 5, 2014 at 2:47 PM

I want to grow some flowers in my garden that I can cut and put into bouquets as a cute summer center piece. I have a patio outside and it’s perfect for meals outside with friends and family and I think having flowers from my garden to decorate the table would be perfect. What flowers should I grow and use? I have hydrangeas, but want to add a little flower variety.

• March 10, 2014 at 7:57 PM

Garden Design Magazine posted this pretty helpful list:

Here are their top 10 cutting plants for floral design:

• Hydrangea: in the late summer, the gorgeous blooms lend scale to any design. In the fall, the cut stems are allowed to slowly dry in vases for display throughout the winter months.
    • Peony: while they bloom for only 3-4 weeks in the early summer, nothing matches their wistful beauty and subtle fragrance.
    • Dahlia: with countless shapes and hues, dappled and ruffled petals, these bodacious blooms are the quintessential flower of late summer.
    • Zinnia: “Like a party in a vase!” Jack observes. The men like to plant a patch of Zinnia elegans‘Magellan’ dwarf varieties in complementary fiesta colors.
    • Quince: In early spring, Renny and Jack display cut branches of quince — appreciating the blooms’ intense coral petals emerging from architectural twigs —  in a big cylindrical vase.
    • Chinese trumpet lily: the heavenly trumpet-shaped varieties of Lilium regale are highly valued, including ‘Golden Splendor’.
    • Rose: blowsy, heavily-fragranced David Austin varieties are lush ingredients to a garden bouquet. The apricot-hued ‘Sweet Juliet’ is a favorite.
    • Shasta daisy (Leucanthemum x superbum): “There’s nothing prettier or more ‘country-feeling’ than an old pitcher with Shastas on the kitchen table,” Jack says.
    • Daffodil and narcissus: With more than 120 varieties of the scented, early spring flowering bulbs planted at Hortulus, there are armloads of these beauties to fill vases for every room.
    • Lily-of-the-valley: Jack and Renny often harvest clumps of this tiny woodland flower to replant in small flowerpots or julep cups. Topped with moss, the delicate arrangement puts a smile on the face of anyone who sees it.

Source: http://www.gardendesign.com/bouquet