• April 11, 2014 at 5:02 PM

I’m usually pretty knowledgable about small plants in my garden, but I have absolutely no experience in dealing with hedges. I think I’m going to add some small to medium sized hedges in my yard. What’s the best way to shape and manage them?

• April 11, 2014 at 8:08 PM

1. Shaping Hedges in Early Growth

In early months use large pruning shears to cut down the hedges to a length of 6 inches. After the 1st growing season use measuring tape and measure from the base of the hedges to the highest point. (You don’t have to worry about it being level) In the spring after the 1st growing season, review the height of the plant and trim them back to half of their size. (do this before blossoming occurs). You can lightly shape the sides but avoid trimming too much.┬áBy the 3rd growing season you also trim them back to half their size but can probably trim more on the sides.

2. Shaping Adult Hedges

When hedges are adults, you can shape them to be more exact and symmetrical. Take stakes and mark them to the height you want the hedge to be. Then use an electric hedge trimmer and shave the hedge down to the height you want it to be. Make sure it’s level. Then put in stakes to mark the desired width of the hedge and shave off any part that falls outside of the width markers.